Invermectin is used to fight parasites in horses.
Ivermectin for horses is one of the most effective methods for treating and preventing parasites. The drug works against 35 different parasitic organisms, including strongyles, various types of worms and bots. The worms he can treat and control include pinworms, lungworms, and intestinal capillary worms. It is considered safe to use on all horses, although manufacturers recommend not using it on animals intended for food. Ivermectin paralyzes the neurotransmitter gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABA) in parasites. This acid is unique to parasitic organisms and therefore a typical dose of ivermectin will not affect vertebrates such as horses. It can prevent new infections from parasites and also acts in the destruction of active infections.
Ivermectin helps treat and prevent horse parasites.
Owners can purchase horse ivermectin in paste form. It is usually sold in a plastic syringe, which contains enough of the drug for one or more adult horses. To administer the drug, the tip of the syringe must be inserted into the horse’s mouth. The paste is then injected into the back of the animal’s tongue. Owners are often advised to hold the horse’s head so it doesn’t spit out the medicine. It is considered very difficult to overdose when using ivermectin for horses. The animals ingest up to nine times the recommended dosage with no side effects. Ivermectin administration for parasite control can begin when the horse is only six to eight weeks old.
Veterinarians warn against rotating wormers too often.
The drug is so effective at controlling parasites that veterinarians often recommend switching to another type of treatment occasionally. The concern is that the parasites will eventually develop a resistance to ivermectin for horses, rendering it ineffective. At the same time, vets warn against rotating wormers too often and say it can cause the parasites to develop resistance to multiple drugs at the same time. The recommended course of action is to work closely with a veterinarian when administering an anti-worm treatment program for horses.
To administer ivermectin to horses, a syringe tip must be inserted into the horse’s mouth.
The use of ivermectin for horses is occasionally known to cause side effects. Swelling and itching have occurred in some horses after being treated with ivermectin for caterpillar neck microfilariae. It is believed that the reactions were due to the large number of microfilariae dying at once. Ivermectin is considered extremely safe for horses, but humans should wash their hands after handling the drug. Used ivermectin syringes should not be disposed of in water sources due to the potential to harm or kill invertebrates in the water.