You can treat yellow jacket bites with ice packs to relieve pain.
Yellow jackets look like honey bees without the fuzz, and unlike bees, they will sometimes sting without provocation. You should know how to treat yellow jacket bites because at first they are very painful and people bitten by yellow jackets can develop severe and fatal reactions to their venom. First of all, if a person has a bee sting allergy, he should always carry a bee sting kit with him and know how to use it. If you are caring for a person or traveling with someone who is allergic to bees, ask them to train you on how to use the kit as well.
To reduce swelling and pain, taking medications like Benadryl®, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen can help.
While bees often sting as a last defense and lose their stingers in the process, yellow coats can sting multiple times and you may not see a stinger. If there is, you should scrape it off rather than pull it. Squeezing the stinger can inject more venom into the sting site, which at the very least will make it more painful.
Some people recommend that you treat yellow jacket bites with ice, as this can help relieve the pain. Another common recommendation by many medical professionals is to use meat tenderizer paste on the bites. This really helps reduce pain and can also help reduce swelling. If you don’t have ice or meat tenderizer, you can use baking soda or a little vinegar.
Yellow jackets look like hairless bees and can sting multiple times.
You can expect the bite to hurt a little in the first few hours. Medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help. Antihistamines like Benadryl® can also promote comfort and reduce swelling. The downside is that they make people sleepy and can mask the symptoms of a delayed and secondary allergic reaction to stings. Minor reactions usually occur before major ones, and if you have a delayed reaction to a sting, you should consider yourself allergic to bee stings; that means you should start carrying a bee sting kit with you.
Fever after treatment for yellow jacket bites should be diagnosed by a doctor.
Most people can expect some swelling and redness around the sting area, but this swelling should be localized. If a person has massive swelling, this is not a normal reaction and requires immediate medical care. When the swelling doesn’t go down in a few days and there are red streaks or any appearance of pus, this is an infection. Yellow jackets come in contact with feces and dead animals, and this can transfer the infection to people who bite. If you suspect the bite is infected, see a doctor.
Baking soda can be used as a paste to reduce the pain caused by yellow jacket bites.
Another part of learning how to treat yellow jacket bites is learning to recognize when a person may be having an allergic reaction to the bite. A person who complains of difficulty breathing, slurred speech, has a large swelling around the bite site, looks confused, or has a fever may be having an allergic reaction. This is an emergency medical situation and you should call 911. Severe sting allergies cause anaphylactic shock and there should be no delay in preventing this type of deadly reaction.
Individuals who experience an allergic reaction to a yellow jacket sting may need to call 911 for assistance.
Sometimes when you treat people with yellow jacket stings, the reaction is delayed. A delayed reaction can manifest several hours later, with symptoms such as fever, general tiredness, or sudden extreme illness. If you notice this reaction several hours after treating yellow jacket bites, it may also require immediate medical care. Contact your doctor or go to an urgent care clinic. However, you should still call 911 if you have difficulty breathing or if you think there are additional concerns.
Another thing to keep in mind is the location of the bite, the number of bites, and the age of the person being bitten. You should get immediate care for children who have ten or more bites at once and for children who have a bite in their mouth. When treating yellow jacket bites, which are numerous, be sure to watch for any signs of a possible allergic reaction, either immediate or delayed. If in doubt, seek medical treatment.