Can poisonous frogs be kept as pets?

Sounds like a trick question: how can you stay safe when you come across one of the most dangerous animals on Earth? Answer: Make him your pet.

In the wild, the poisonous frog’s diet makes it highly lethal.

In fact, it’s not a trick. Poison frogs are a group of small amphibians in the family Dendrobatidae, some of which can carry enough toxins to kill 10 adult males. Native to tropical areas of Central and South America, the beautifully colored creatures look harmless, weighing about 1 ounce (28 g) and measuring a maximum of 2.4 inches (6 cm) in length.

In the wild, they eat mites, ants, and centipedes, and their bodies turn some of the ingested chemicals into extremely toxic poisons. However, once placed in a terrarium and fed a domestic diet of fruit flies and small crickets, dart frogs become as harmless as hamsters.

And for some, they are the ideal pet: dart frogs can live up to 20 years and don’t require much maintenance. They get busy during the day and sleep at night, so you can spend hours watching the beautiful creatures move silently around their glass abode, especially if you add in some waterfalls and lots of greenery to keep the moisture in.

A few more facts about frogs:

At the other end of the dart frog’s size scale is the Cameroonian Goliath frog, which can weigh 7 pounds (3.2 kg) and reach 30 inches (76 cm) in length, with its legs extended.

Frogs blink when they swallow their prey and their eyeballs push down into their mouths to help force food down.

See also  Why are broken legs so dangerous for horses?

Surprisingly, most frog species have teeth in their upper jaw, which they use to hold prey.

Leave a Comment